Bee blocks galore

I am finally getting around to sewing again - I had quite a busy time moving and participating in several Bees during that time. At one point I simply had enough and went into hiding.

Now I'm paying the price catching up on the blocks - though they are perfect to get into sewing again - free form sort of look see try discard do over rip apart leave a little crooked ...

Ich hoffe das Endergebnis wirds auch ... pheww
translation: fluffy

I'm not completely back in the game - I can't find the SD-card for my camera so you will have to make to with the pictures taken in rainy-weather with a mediochre phone camera ...

Baskets ... Der letzte kriegt wohl noch ein patchiges Aussehen - hab ich viel zu spät entdeckt ....



Queen on the move / Königin im Umzugsstress

Das wird jetzt mein erster oder vilelicht zweiter Blogpost auf Deutsch ... ich kann halt einfach nicht auf deutsch Quilten ...

Erstein ganz herzliches Dankeschön für die Geduld und alles .... Umziehen ist einfach d***. Aber hier das heißersehnt:

Ich hab mich jetzt doch dagegen entschieden, ein Tutorial zu malen - ich hab nämlich weder Buntstifte noch Papier hier - naja ich könnt wohl im Geschäft Schmierpapier mitgehen lassen. Also werde ich jetzt gaaanz viele Bilder zusammentragen und versuchen so weit möglich mit Tutorials zu verlinken - die dann allerdings nicht immer auf deutsch.

 Tutorial 1

das richtig gute Zeug

from http://www.blocklotto.com/
 Jetzt habt ihr sicher raus was ich von wuch will - Rosen, ich will einen wunderschönen vollen Garten  in rot auch gerne mit orange oder lila Stich - alles in Richtung herbstlich gesättigt.

 Entweder  1 große [16,5 x 16,5] und 4 Mittlere [8,5 x 8,5] oder 1 große 2 mittlere  4 kleine [4,5 x 4,5].

Also einfach gesagt 1 große und bei der zweiten könnt  ihr frei mischen was die Größen angeht von 4,5 bis 16,5 nehm ich alles ...

Nach Möglichkeit einen "scrappy" grünen Rahmen/Rand / zum Quadratauffüllmasse dann kann ich das scrappy zusammenfügen und anstückeln wo Bedarf ist.


potholders - new town - new job

I am enjoying discovering the town I'm going to live and (come Monday) work in. I did already discover 3 fabric stores and the internet tells me there are even more.

Yesterday I didn't feel like doing much - is awfully hot - so I went to get some fresh fruits, never can have enough of them in the heat. Well I stumbled upon this fabric store - absolutely useless for "real" quilting but hey they did have a bit of thermolam and the odd bist of 100% cotton fabrics. And a few hours later:

new potholders - yes I'm desperate enough to completely handsew them
hmm yeah I already used them today cooking lunch

The red one took me all afternoon --- the blue one was easy peasy done after dinner ...

detail dot-potholderdetail - square-potholder



(almost) found my block

With basic geometric designs it's unlikely that you could actually come up with a new block .... but then when is it a new block, some take changing dark/light fabric placement in a  block as new - I so would love to introduce the the concept of the work, expression, manifestation and item .... so here goes MY "item":

it's slowly growing

One day while sitting in the corridor waiting for my profs consultation hour I whiled away my time drawing grids and filling them with colour. And came up with a pattern I thought perfect for a Bee with flying geese blocks. So at home I sat down and drew the pattern. And  wrote a tutorial (that seems to case a headache for a lot of people, though they can't tell me where the problem is)

Octagees are done ... well ok still to do the final cutting instructions .. but there is an end in sight

And then Jen from Quilter in the Closet made my block and linked to this picture: which is pretty much my block in old and white and red instead of yellow and blue and new

picture courtesy of: liveauctoneers.com
So today while I was leafing through books (real paper ones and electonic versions) looking for a pattern I would like to use to decimate my green and ble stash (ok I was avoiding to clean the bathroom). I came across some fairly similar patterns.

There are actually quite a few similar blocks:
Nancy Cabot has one with only 4 flying gees and also they point inwards
Home Art Studios has one named Tangled Cobwebs with same as Nancy's but with tiny squares in the corners
The others all have a lot more flying geese, but still all pointing inward - Spider Web/Wild Goose Chase (Mrs. Danner's Quilts) and Rising Sun (Miall) do have an 8 point star in the centre the geese pointing inwards and a border of HSTs to be connected to form more 8 pointed stars in the corners and flying geese wehn joined together.

Do you ever try to find out where a pattern comes from?

Now out of curiosity I might attempt to make one of those blocks too ... see where I could have made something different / better ....

And I will have to think about adding a sashing similar to the Spider Web/ Wild Goose Chase and Rising Sun blocks - though I will try a mock up fist ...



The big bad world

I had some rather good news from an HR department so now I'm walking with a little more swing today. But it also means I need to get a head start on the Bee and Swap stuff and generally get read for the "real" life

I already have a perfect new bag for everyday use - for me - the little sister of the big upcycling bag that I started.

upcycling-rest-bagthe more "serious" side

I have my basket swap baskets done ... the big nes is a bit "fluffy" but I guess it wold be perfect for general scraps or a kitting project, I made an extra small one, becase that can "stand" on its own - I chose the red as lining because it's a rather screaming fabric, but then yo can just turn the basket inside out if that's your thing.

fabric basket for a swapfabric basket for a swap (other side)

another more "firm" basket for a swap

And last but not least - I made and sent off a late June bee block ....

bee block